Friday 8 March 2013

"Spontaneous! Human Combustion" Annual 1970

**Warning: Contains images of death (& unfashionable footwear)**

The mayor wishes that such a warning had been issued on publications in the 1970s. Maybe millions of children wouldn't have been terrified by the superfluity of glossy monthly magazines and cheap horror books which sensationalised gruesome occult subjects.


Grown ups in Scarfolk preferred their children to have a more hands-on approach to the supernatural, or 'the natural', as it's called here.

In 1970, Scarfolk had its own after-school kids' light entertainment TV show called "Spontaneous! Human Combustion." Though it ran for only one series, it sparked a catchphrase still occasionally heard today: "Douse the louse, Mr. Chrysanthemum!" (The name of the show's host).

This is the show's only Christmas annual.


7 comments:

  1. I was convinced throughout my ENTIRE childhood that I or someone I knew would spontaneously combust. I'm still waiting (a little bit disappointed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent! I remember watching a QED on this subject when I was a kid in the '80s. Charred remains with a Paul Vaughan VO - chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of my favorite books in the 1970s featured the photo at bottom right of this marvelous cover. I would certainly have hunted this down at jumble sales, where most of the good stuff was to be found back then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. even in the colonies magazines such as "The Unexplaimed" promulgated the danger of spontaneous combustion - so much so that although I read the entry accompanied with the pictures above at about the age of 9 - I remember "Bleak House" was mentioned and I watched closely (at 41) when the BBC? dramatisation was televised in Oz last year looking for any combusting characters - truly I belived any character could go at any time......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear 'The Unexplained' had more influence on my young psyche than any teachings or homilies dispensed by teachers, parents etc. I was convinced that I would burst into flames at any moment, so made sure I was with other people at ALL TIMES, so they could put me out if this occurred - the main factor in cases of SHC was they were all alone. I'm better now, sort of, and spend upwards of 10 minutes by myself with smouldering or flaking ash off my legs. And my footwear is often fashionable, to guard against the dreaded post SHC photo embarassment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing that scares me is the Mothman. Do not like what I have read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to be spontaneous, unless you're talking about human combustion.

    ReplyDelete