Thursday 12 September 2013

"Patient #249" EEG Recording 01.11.1977

In 1977 Scarfolk Clinic conducted sleep experiments on a local boy known only as 'Patient #249'. He suffered from severe nightmares and developed a rare condition known as 'manifest hypnagogia'.

Symptoms include the physical manifestation of hallucinations that sufferers endure between sleep and waking states. For example, Patient #249 frequently awoke to find, sitting on the end of his bed, a syphilitic, deformed Victorian clown eating trifle and pig's liver pâté. At other times, a confused sewing machine salesman from the Midlands would appear. Patient #249's parents found this inconvenient.

Doctors observed Patient #249 at home and wired his brain to an EEG, which they attached to a Bontempi electric keyboard. They wanted to record what Patient #249's brain was doing and translate it into music. In the recording you'll hear the TV in the background before Patient #249's unconscious brain takes over and he slips into a hypnagogic state.



7 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear what would have happened if they had attached a Stylophone instead.


    At least I imagine I think I'd love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge problem with this experiment is that a conventional electric keyboard, presumably tuned in 12-tone equal temperment, does not contain the notes necessary to properly translate into musical sound a syphilitic, deformed Victorian clown eating trifle and pig's liver pâté. That should have been obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sounds made me UNwet my bed... it really stung...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is considered unusual? Syphilitic, deformed Victorian clowns follow me everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bontempi electric keyboard is named from the French, "Bonté MPI", meaning "a kindly message passing interface". This parallel structure protocol enables a friendlier, gentler Fortran 77 experience. Patient #249 is expresses this ideal in sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a luxury to have a syphilitic, deformed Victorian clown eating trifle and pig's liver pâté at the end of your bed. In my reduced circumstances, all I can afford is a midget Mexican wrestler eating a Frey Bentos Chicken and Mushroom Pie. Damn everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been using this track and the Numbers Station to help me sleep at night. I find them very soothing.

    However I do seem to have misplaced all the mustard bus stops.

    ReplyDelete